Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A new article



I've added a PDF file of the most recent installment of my column "Hoist the Colors", done for the Realistic Equine Sculpture Society's newsletter, The Boat.

One of the nice things about writing for The Boat is that authors are allowed to retain their copyright, so I can share articles after they are published. I'm not sure I'll post all future columns - I'm not sure I have that much space on the site! - but it's nice to have the option, especially for the articles that might be helpful to a broader range of readers. In the case of this particular article, there's a simple overview of what is currently known about appaloosa genetics. Although that might seem overly technical, in truth it has a lot of implications for painters (and judges) of model horses.

And if you find articles like this one helpful, I'd highly recommend membership in the organization. The newsletter, which usually numbers close to 200 pages, is full of these kinds of in-depth articles on just about every topic concerning the making of horse figurines. The cost of the membership is worth it on the quality of the newsletter alone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen to joining the boat! Im on a personal membership drive to get as many new people as I can to join. I just dont get why they dont! heck a 200 page newsletter... its like getting a book! on horse sculpting and painting and the business of! and you get it more than one time a year! geeze! you would think if someone really wanted to get better and learn.. then they would join! 30 dollars isnt so much for a whole year of opportunities to learn and be part of something... so I hope anyone thats reading this.. and isnt a member will join! Leslie glad your back! I have missed your postings!

Diane said...

I'll second that about RESS; the articles alone are certainly worth the membership fees. But I almost didn't sign up this year because I thought I could use that money for more art supplies. I'm glad I changee my mind! :-)

Can't wait to read this article!