Friday, April 11, 2008

Marsh Tackies



The family is still here on Pawleys Island, but I thought I would share a picture of one of the newest residents of Brookgreen Gardens. This little yearling is Bravo, and he's part of the lowcountry cultural exhibit. He is a Marsh Tacky, one of the original colonial breeds currently on the "critical" list with the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. Both he and the younger colt in the exhibit, Joab, were duns. (Joab would not come out from behind the feeder for a picture - perhaps because he was shedding out and going through some weanling uglies, poor guy!) The volunteer working at the exhibit said that the horses weren't donated, but rather were on loan to Brookgreen. Apparently the breeders are going to rotate various representatives of the breed through the exhibit.

I do have some pictures to share from Brookgreen proper, and from the medallic art exhibit there. But I'm going to wait until I get home to post those. The indoor pictures need a good bit of color correction, and I don't trust this old laptop for that.

No comments: