Wednesday, August 12, 2009
As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been working on an article on how appaloosa patterns interact with the different base coat colors. In discussing the color black and how it can suppress white markings and patterns, I thought it would be fun to show how this suppression can effectively "shrink" the leopard pattern down to blanket-size. Digital images are fun that way, because I could take the pattern from the top horse and literally shrink it down and place it on the bottom one. Aside from the difference in hair growth direction (that part doesn't shrink so my spot directions don't quite match anymore), the effect is actually pretty accurate.
Here is my real black appaloosa with her "shrunken" leopard pattern.
The article has reminded me that I have a terribly outdated set of color charts. In the past I've just updated the existing charts with newly found colors or registry rule changes, but they really need a complete overhall at this point. There are new colors like pearl and dominant white to add, as well as older colors that need more detailed breakdowns.
If only I didn't need to sleep...
at 5:38 PM