Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Several people have asked me about the missing family member, Taboo. I did conveniently gloss overy his absence, didn't I?
I knew from the start that all the molds from this group were going to present challenges, but Taboo was going to be the hardest of the three. I've borrowed this promotional photo from Sarah because the angle illustrates the reason. His head is so closely tucked that the shoulder of the raised leg partially obscures his facial profile. Overlapping pieces like this are a real issue in moldmaking because the mold pieces are rigid. They need a clear path for removal or they break the casting during the demolding process.
I learned a lot working with Vixen, but it didn't take long for me to decide that Taboo was probably above my pay grade! So when Joan offered to do the master molds for him, I was more than happy to ship him off to the real expert.
If all goes well, we may have some Taboos to glaze in Idaho. But more importantly, Joan has been looking at some of the issues involved in casting really small, intricate horses. Molding Vixen resulting in some new techniques that are already making creating ceramic horses easier. Having a second (more experienced) set of eyes looking at those problems will probably push the technology even farther, which is really exciting - especially since I don't think Sarah is going to be making her future sculptures any simpler than these guys!
at 8:34 AM