Sunday, January 4, 2009

Squeeeeeeeeee!



It worked! It worked! Okay, so his little tail popped off, but he was otherwise fine. It seems Imp can be cast from a relatively simple mold.

I am not sure about his tail. With this one, I waited too long to demold him and he began to dry. I knew he'd dry fast, as small as he is, but I was way off in predicting the wait time. That will often cause breakage on the appendages, which is exactly what happened. I'm not sure, though, if the tail will work even if I pull him out sooner. I may be reattaching a lot of tails! But then I originally thought I'd be casting with multiple molds and piecing together a partial body, two legs and a tail. So I'm ahead no matter what.

In all other respects, the mold worked perfectly. Now the question is, can I clean him without breaking him? And, if I can do that, can I do it more than once in a blue moon? But for now, I'm just thrilled that I have one, tiny little raw mud Imp!

Oh, and we did just get back from our trip to the Florida coast. We arrived home late last night, too tired to unpack. I should have been unpacking this morning, but that untested mold just couldn't wait. I do have some fun pictures from the beach that I'll try to post here shortly, including my first foray into sand sculpture (I'll stick with mud in the future).

5 comments:

Marge Para said...

WOW! Congratulations on getting the mold to work! I'd love to see photos of how much it shrunk compared to the resin 'Imp'. I wonder tho, will it need to be on a base?

Adalee said...

Woot! So glad it worked! And I have every confidence in you that you'll be able to clean them... Can't wait to see a shiny one! Glad to hear you had a nice trip!

Addi :)

mel said...

Squeeeeee! is right! How lovely is THAT! As Addi said, we all knew if something tiny and delicate could be done, it would be done by YOU! Happy New Year is already coming true.

Unknown said...

I love it!!! good for you! yea cleaning those legs is gonna be pretty tricky and scary work! don't drink any coffee first! lol.. good luck! cant wait to see one all painted and shiny!!!
Rebecca Turner
www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com

Lesli Kathman said...

I'll take some comparison photos once he's done, Marge. I wonder if the fact that he's almost solid (just a bit of cavity in the belly area) will make a difference in shrinkage?

And I don't think he'll need a base. For all that the resin looks like he's balanced precariously on those toes, he stands pretty solid.