Saturday, September 13, 2008

Conversations



These are my favorite mugs. Now that the mornings are getting a little cooler, they are getting a bit more use. I brought them home from my trip to Idaho - the light green one for me and the taller iron gray one for Alan. They each have matching bowls, which I thought would make nice ice cream bowls. I'm not sure why I thought we'd ever be eating ice cream and drinking hot tea at the same time, but then again I'm not always the most logical person.

I like the mugs because they remind me of the friends who were with me at the art festival when I bought them. What I have always liked about the model horse community is that it seems to be filled with bright, creative people. (Well, that and those people never say, "Uhhh, can we talk about something other than horses for a little while?") The exchange of ideas and techniques really gets me excited about my own work. That's why I am a big advocate of artist retreats. Sarah makes a better case for them here than I ever could. (Even if her tea brewing methods remain barbaric.)

The downside is that travel is time consuming, and in this day and age increasingly expensive. So I was excited to hear that the Realistic Equine Sculpture Society had set up an online forum. RESS has always maintained a mailing list, and it often contains really good discussion. But what we do is so inherently visual, and much of that is lost in email messages. Forums are wonderful for making a conversations more visual and more interactive. There is even talk of creating online learning forums that tie in with Boat articles, which would take us yet another step closer to recreating the artist retreat experience. All in all, not a bad deal for the membership fee ($25).

5 comments:

mel said...

My boss adores Postum. Postum?! So few people even use it that it has stopped production. But enough folks still crave it that new unopened jars sell on eBay for huge amounts---seven jars for $155!!! There are 14- and 17-people bid wars---for Postum!!! What is the world coming to?

Lesli Kathman said...

Postum? Wasn't that made from wheat bran or something? Ewwwww.

~Jenn ODonnell Danza~ said...

Lovely mugs Lesli!
~Jenn

FireHorse Designs of Texas said...

You can get Postum for a reasonable price from the Vermont Country Store. I use them to get the comfort foods from childhood like Habitat Split Pea soup LOL.

And I love green tea ice cream. So it's not a huge stretch thinking of them in the same moment!

Cheryl

mel said...

Green tea is my favorite ice cream, too!

Now that is interesting about VCS---I'll have to tell my boss. I wonder how they get Postum, since it is no longer being made...