Monday, October 1, 2007

Unseen horses





I do quite a number of horses each year that never get seen. Unless the horse was done to auction, or for one of the lotteries, they have often gone off to their new homes without appearing on the website. Since many ceramic collectors do not show, or do not show often, these horses are largely unknown to other collectors. So sharing them here will be like showing off new work... even when I've not actually been productive!

This little guy was done a few years ago. I was experimenting with subtle variations in color formulas for dapple grey, so there were a bunch of them done around the same time so I could set them side-by-side. Some might remember a much darker grey Collier, Beauxbaton, who was also part of that same group. She and this one were painted with the same colors, only Beauxbaton had many more layers of the darkest tones. She was also matte finished, while this guy was glossed. The other piece from the set was another lottery piece, an Animal Artistry (bone china) Welsh Pony named Clan Revel. He was painted almost indentically to this Collier. What I was looking for was the different in heavier dark tones, in gloss versus matte, and bone china versus earthenware. The tonal differences were rather striking in all three, at least in person.

So if you encounter a group of my horses at a show, and they look "related", chances are they were part of some kind of studio experiment. I tend to do a lot of them!

2 comments:

SHERI COOK said...

Absolutely this is a lovely piece.

Lesli Kathman said...

Thank you! Dapple grey is one of my favorite colors to do in underglaze - probably because it's a color that's easier in underglaze than in "regular" paint like acrylic. Or at least it is for me. :)